Know Your Rights
If you have been in an automobile accident and submit a claim to your insurance company, you should know that:
- You have the right to choose the repair shop to fix your vehicle.
- Once you’ve informed the insurance representative that you’ve selected a repair facility, it’s illegal for them to try to influence you to take it somewhere else.
- You have the right to have your vehicle repaired to its pre-accident condition.
- Your insurance company is required to assume all costs necessary to repair your vehicle to the way it was before it was damaged.
- You have the right to have your vehicle repaired with original equipment (OE) parts.
- An insurer must pay for parts of like kind and quality (OE parts of comparable age and condition) and cannot require you to accept aftermarket parts (parts not made by your vehicle manufacturer).
- You should consult with the collision repair professional of your choice to determine the appropriate repair plan for your vehicle.
- Collision repair professionals have the knowledge and technical expertise to know which parts, materials and repair procedures are necessary for the proper and safe repair of your vehicle. Armed with this information, you will be in a better position to make sure you receive what you’re entitled to, by law from your insurance company.
*Minn. Stat 72A.201, Subd. 6.